E.C. 8238: Part-Day Preschool Programs Referrals to Adult Education
Section 8238 of the Education Code is amended to read:
As a condition of receipt of funds pursuant to Section 8238.4, a participating part‐day preschool program shall coordinate the provision of all of the following:
- Opportunities for parents and legal guardians to work with their children on interactive literacy activities. For purposes of this subdivision, “interactive literacy activities” means activities in which parents or legal guardians actively participate in facilitating the acquisition by their children of pre‐reading skills through guided activities such as shared reading, learning the alphabet, and basic vocabulary development.
- Parenting education for parents and legal guardians of children in participating classrooms to support the development by their children of literacy skills. Parenting education shall include, but not be limited to, instruction in all of the following:
- Providing support for the educational growth and success of their children.
- Improving parent‐school communications and parental understanding of school structures and expectations.
- Becoming active partners with teachers in the education of their children.
- Improving parental knowledge of local resources for the identification of and services for developmental disabilities, including, but not limited to, contact information for school district special education referral.
- Referrals, as necessary, to providers of instruction in adult education and English as a second language in order to improve the academic skills of parents and legal guardians of children in participating classrooms.
- Staff development for teachers in participating classrooms that includes, but is not limited to, all of the following:
- Development of a pedagogical knowledge, including, but not limited to, improved instructional and behavioral strategies.
- Knowledge and application of developmentally appropriate assessments of the pre‐ reading skills of children in participating classrooms.
- Information on working with families, including the use of onsite coaching, for guided practice in interactive literacy activities.
- Providing targeted interventions for all young children to improve kindergarten readiness upon program completion.